(nose - doc)  Roger N. Danziger, MD
What does an Allergy / Immunology specialist do? First we receive a full
2 - 3 years of intensive training in both adult and pediatric diagnosis and treatment of allergic and immunologic conditions. Some other specialists claim to have experience with allergy treatment but they do not receive the high level of training that a board certified Allergy / Immunology specialist receives. 

As an Allergist we treat hay fever (allergic rhinitis), "sinus", sinus infections and any trouble with the nose and sinuses. We are not surgeons and we can help most patients with the use of medications (prescription and OTC) and occasionally allergy injections. Injections are actually small amounts of what the patient is allergic to; like a vaccine designed to desensitize the patient. We first often rely on skin testing to see what allergies (i.e. tree pollen, dust mite, mold, cat / dog) the patient has. For our pediatric patients we try to keep skin testing to a minimum and much of the testing is done with a mild plastic device. 

Allergists are experts in performing allergy skin testing and giving allergy "shots" or desensitization for patients with moderate to severe nasal / sinus allergy symptoms ("hay fever") or asthma. This process works like a vaccine given slowly over time to build up "immunity" to things that cause allergic symptoms. Allergy skin testing and "shots" are best performed by a board certified Allergy / Immunology specialist. 

Allergists also treat asthma and we help evaluate and diagnose patients with chronic cough, wheezing and shortness of breath. We can use a breathing test called "pulmonary function" to assess lung capacity. We can also use skin testing to see if items in the environment are triggering lung symptoms.

Allergists treat all sorts of skin issues including eczema, hives and all sorts of rashes including drug rashes and rashes from plant exposures and other chemical exposures.

Allergists treat drug, insect and food allergy. We can actually skin test for certain drugs, insects (bee, wasp, hornet, yellow jacket and fire ant), and food. I have some patients on allergy injections for life-threatening insect allergy. I personally have an interest in food allergy and I follow many patients with severe peanut and tree nut allergy as well as shellfish allergy. Over time I have watched some of these patients "lose" their allergy. I occasionally perform a cautious food challenge in my office. I have made many patients and families happy by showing that a patient is no longer allergic to peanut, tree nut or shellfish.

Allergists also can evaluate the immune system for patients with frequent infections. Immune conditions are rare but as specialists we are trained to look for rare conditions and "sort" out complex patients. A typical "immune" patients is one with frequent sinus infections, bronchitis or pneumonia. They are often on the antibiotic "merry-go-round". Very often these patients never get completely better and it's only a matter of time before they are on more antibiotics. 

If you feel you need an Allergy specialist to "fix" you then feel free to make an appointment. You'll be glad you did ! ! ! If you are not sure and would like to get more information please feel free to call us at 941.761.1911 or use the 
Contact Us page to ask us a question about your condition. We will respond to you in one business day. . . Promise ! ! !


Roger N. Danziger, MD
Past President Florida Allergy Asthma and Immunology Society
Allergy / Immunology Representative for Medicare Part B State of Florida